Conference Travel Fund for Sea Grant-Supported Graduate Students
Wisconsin Sea Grant is now accepting applications for conference travel for graduate students.
- Must be enrolled as a graduate student at the time of application
- Must be enrolled as a graduate student during conference travel
- Must have received funding from Sea Grant to conduct graduate research
- Must be travelling to present Sea Grant-funded research at a conference (oral presentation is preferred over a poster)
- Can receive this award only once a year; preference will be given to students who have not received the award in previous years
- May receive preference if conference travel is co-funded by another sponsor
Funds are available to support the conference travel of up to five students per year.
- Application must be submitted and approved before travel
- The conference travel award cannot exceed $2000 per student
- The following information or documents will be required to complete the application:
- Estimated budget*
- Purpose of attending conference and explanation of how the conference aligns with Sea Grant’s focus areas
- Proof that the student is presenting a paper or poster at the conference (e.g., letter of paper acceptance, conference program where student is listed as a presenter, conference agenda). If this is not available at the time of application, the application may be submitted without it, but the award will be issued only upon submitting this proof
- Abstract of paper or poster to be presented
- Details of the Sea Grant funded project that the student worked on and will be presenting at the conference
Students who are selected for this award will be required to submit another detailed budget. Sea Grant staff will provide assistance to ensure that the budget meets all requirements.
- Conference must be relevant to student's field of study and must be aligned with Wisconsin Sea Grant’s strategic focus areas (justification will be requested in application).
- It must be scheduled between September 15, 2016 and January 31, 2018.
- Travel to international conferences may be considered but will require additional approval from the National Sea Grant office, and will therefore take longer to process.
Students that are awarded conference travel funds will also be required to:
- Attend and assist with one Sea Grant outreach event (Events listed under Actionable science student opportunities at Wisconsin Sea Grant), and
- Write a blog post about their experience at the conference that will be published on the Sea Grant website, or work with Sea Grant communication staff on an article about their experience at the conference.
Selection Process and Timeline
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and awarded on a rolling basis.
How to Apply
Send application materials directly to email@example.com.